God Lady

Apocalypse / Wellcome Images

Apocalypse / Wellcome Images

Right after my stroke, I had a fill-in speech therapist who said to me, “This is God’s plan.” Separately, she went up to my mother and said the same thing: “This is God’s plan.”

My mother said later that she liked all of the hospital staff except for the God Lady.

10 Responses to “God Lady”

1. Janet writes:

I love your blog!

When I was a teenager, my grandma had a stroke. Because she was elderly, she didn’t ever achieve a lot of recovery but did live for quite a while after. I spent one summer in college at their house, helping her.

My mom struggled with it because “old grandma” was her mom and she missed her. I wasn’t very close to “old grandma” so I didn’t miss her so much. “Old grandma” gave me books instead of toys at Christmas and looked at me with severe eyes when I used bad grammar. “New grandma” had sweet soft eyes and called my sister Penelope. (Her name is Carol.) My mom mourned when “old grandma” left and I mourned when “new grandma” as gone.

2. Susan Tordella writes:

whose god would bring on a stroke to a young person?

3. Mike writes:

To Susan: whose god would cause a stroke in *anyone*?

Terrible things happen. The fact that this is god’s plan either implies that he permits this (is unsympathetic) or intends this (is outright antagonistic). In either case, what solace is the fact that suffering is part of god’s plan? What a stupid thing to reassure someone with.

When faced with something monstrous, I understand the desire to make sense of it. Suffering is one many things that doesn’t (and doesn’t need to) make sense.

4. Áine writes:

Thanks for sharing in your blog; its really interesting (and refreshing) to hear views from someone who has had your experience.
    As for the god lady, it makes me despair when seemingly intelligent people, especially those in a person-orientated profession, have no clue how to relate to others!

5. emily writes:

the comment was a little insensitive- because to most people god has always been the person who will do no harm and cause no grief. i believe god is quite the opposite – many people have been through terrible struggles and always come out saying “it made me who i am” or “it made me a better person”.. i do believe that “god” has a way of teaching us life lessons through injury and pain. i think that the lady meant that you would one day see a reason for this occurence. instead of disregarding the comment maybe find some comfort in the fact that there may be a divine reason for this happening. just a thought. faith helped me through my own neurosurgery (spinal)

6. duke writes:

A belief in some sort of supreme being is key for most of us,,, just the fact that so many people believe actually creates the reality. As for god striking us down on a whim i dont see that happening. i think that we are eternal beings and this existence is not but a fraction of what we will become, my stroke has made me a better person in a lot of ways.

7. amy writes:

I had a God lady too. I was pretty mean to her at times. Kinda feel bad about that now.

8. Guest post: Mindpop | Wellcome Library writes:

[…] describes the situation at hand, but I find ones that show mood or emotion. Here is an entry called God Lady about insensitive therapists. I used a Wellcome work “Apocalyptic scenes painted around 1833” […]

9. Rick writes:

Life is random and unfair. If you view the universe as infinite then there can be uncountable configurations of You – with a stroke, without a stroke, living till 90,living till 10. If there is a god, then (s)he’s only concerned with the overall outcome, having no bearing on our individual lives.

10. Mindpop | Wellcome Library writes: