Matter

Descartes Diagram / Wellcome Images

Descartes Diagram / Wellcome Images

A stroke victim I know is very religious. She has problems speaking and using her hand. But she says her stroke doesn’t matter. What matters is her relationship with God.

I can’t say my stroke doesn’t matter.

Can you?

6 Responses to “Matter”

1. kent writes:

Everyone finds their own way to deal with adversity. Religion is one way. You might be skeptical of religion, but it is just a way to make meaning of the world. People who are not religious make their own meaning of the world. In both case it’s human, limited, and provisional.

As to whether your stroke ‘matters’ it plucked a young woman from her life and returned a different one in her place. That matters a lot. And if it sounds a little like an alien abduction, well that would be one way to make sense of it.

Human brains are meaning-making machines. Mess with the machine, mess with the meaning. You can induce alien abduction experiences (or mystical religious experiences) by stimulating the brain with magnetic fields. Does that mean mystical experiences are fake? Are they any less real than the other mental phenomena we experience?

Philip K. Dick famously said “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.” Which is kind of a zen koan. I suspect, after getting into political arguments, that people are willing to disbelieve the evidence of their own eyes. So …

That didn’t really answer your question, did it?

2. Dean writes:

My parents making the comment, ‘God doesn’t give you anything more than you can handle’, was one of the tipping points to atheism for me.

3. Roy C. Stone JR writes:

Would you be writing this cool blog if you didn’t have a stroke?

4. Joe Foell writes:

Hi Nina,

I’m probably known as a ‘religious’ person too, as I take my relationship with God very serious.

Although my stroke has messed me up in a lot of ways (especially in my language skills), I can understand with your other religious friend. Although I’ve been messed up (and I know that I am fortunate because I stroke could have been at lot worse) I know that my stroke does not matter to my relationship with God. Even though I cannot read the scripture in a way that has flowed deeply into my mind as it did in the past, the truth that it has learned to me remains.

When I joined with my church family this last Easter Sunday celebration, even as I stumble through the words that I try to say, still I know the truth stands solid. His resurrection over death and the redemption of my sins (and all who call on His name) is still as true as He is true.

Even though I can’t remember the words and verses I recited to memory – I can’t retrieve it from my brain now – yet the truth is there, and I can find it by Google and by my searching for it.

Those truths are still there. Look:

Numbers 23:19 God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?

James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Isaiah 46:9–11 Remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’ calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it.

I know that even though I am changed, there is much that stays solid. It that manner, my stroke such not matter.

Gratefully, Joe

5. Kim writes:

I agree with joe. I feel as if my stroke has stolen my life from me but all that has been taken will slowly But surely be given back and the lessons learned through this past year of hell and the strength I’ve gained I will keep. Who knew I could be so strong? God did and now I do too.

6. LEAH writes:

I was so angry at the onset and had the WHY ME,” questions so I did strongly consider atheism. However, I’ve come to learn that God is NOT the bad guy, in fact quite the opposite. It’s people that twist and misrepresent him. He has always(and will always) be willing to heal you. In fact He has already healed us! Don’t let the symptoms of the stroke distract you from this truth.