Acupuncture

Acupuncture Chart / Wellcome Images

Acupuncture Chart / Wellcome Images

Before, my brain was sending the wrong signals to my arm and hand. That sucked. Now, the main problem isn’t brain signals but just muscle tightness. My rehab doctor suggested acupuncture to relieve it.  There is a doctor at the rehab hospital who has also trained in acupuncture. I have gone once.

Needles poked. It didn’t hurt. I waited for a half hour.  They came out. I haven’t noticed a big difference. We shall see.

9 Responses to “Acupuncture”

1. Grace Carpenter writes:

I tried acupuncture, and I didn’t see a difference. But my dad was been treated for arthritis at the same place, so it made for a nice father-daughter outing.

2. John Lightner writes:

Acupuncture got my hand moving 10 months post. It al;so helped control the blisters which showed up on the affected hand.
    Can only speak highly of the treatment.

3. dean reinke writes:

Acupuncture has no scientific basis at all except maybe as a placebo.

4. BC writes:

Hate to be the downer here, but acupuncture doesn’t actually do anything useful – it’s just the placebo effect and confirmation bias. Studies have shown that fake acupuncture and “real” acupuncture are no different.

There are a bunch of really good articles, all with good medical research citation lists, at http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ that describe the research. Worth the time to read.

Good luck with your ongoing recovery – I love the blog and your writing style.

5. Jo writes:

I agree with John. Acupuncture when done correctly will sedate spastic nerves. I’ve done it many times since my stoke to break up patterns of spascity and pain. Without pain or spasms I get more useful workouts.

6. GirlWithTheCane writes:

Keep us posted. No one ever told me about acupuncture to treat spastic nerves.

7. Suzanne Bélanger writes:

I was thinking of trying it for spasticity

8. emilyr writes:

I have been receiving Accupuncture for the year since my stroke. I love it! It helps me relax and I feel like it smoothed out my speech/ movements. Even if it is a “placebo” if I feel better, doesn’t that mean it works?

9. ZPO writes:

Regarding the earlier reference to articles concluding that acupuncture has no merit: Off the top of my head, without citing sources, I recall some negative confounders; such as it’s awfully hard to do a good variable/control experiment for sticking needles into people.

Many respected medical institutions worldwide continue to explore acupuncture treatment, though it is by no means a panacea.