Time II

Clock Lady / Wellcome Images

Clock Lady / Wellcome Images

I got a call from a fellow stroke victim, one who had her stroke recently. She wanted to know about Botox, which doctors sometimes inject into stroke limbs that aren’t behaving. I had had the treatment.

“What does it feel like?” she asked.

“Like an injection,” I said.

She sounded nervous.

“Look,” I said, “If your doctor does a bad job, it leaves your system in about three months.”

“Three months!” she said, astounded.

Suddenly I realized how different our concepts of time were. Stroke veterans think three months is a blink of an eye. Newbies don’t.

Has your concept of time shifted?

Other Time issues….

8 Responses to “Time II”

1. Roy Stone writes:

Strange you ask. My time shift story is actually why I follow your blog. The story starts back in 1996. A friend of mine who had access to a computer and was interested in plants showed me some information on ayahausca. I remembered reading about it in 1971 in the book entitled Wizard of the Upper Amazon. I didn’t know that it actually really existed. Harry said he could order the seeds and I would grow the plants. We lived in South Florida where they would grow. It took me two years to get mature plants. At the time I did not know the percise recipe for ayahausca. We wound up with a mixture about ten times more potent than the recipe called for. My nephew threw his up. Harry was so freaked out watching me I think it kept him focused. Last I remembered I imaged I was surrounded by jungle animals. I was just this big beating heart about to be consumed. I wanted to tell everybody I was gonna die and it was okay. My lips moved but I couldn’t talk. I passed out. People at the event were debating wether to call an ambulance. My wife at the time said that was off the table because if I lived I would kill them for doing that. So my wife hauled out the dogs blanket and they stretched me out on it by the canal. About an hour later while they were debating what to doI popped up and said; ” Hey everybody I’m back.” I had died; I thought. I went to this old growth forest in the 19th century. I was with this man who reminded me of Henry Thoreau. He gave me detail instructions to get back. That’s where the time shift came in. I think I may have had a mimi stroke. I was really messed up. It was my sense of time. It was off and I just couldn’t get into the rythmn of the day. This time thing plagued me till 2008 when I met a Chinese healer. She put me on one of those brain machines (BrainMaster) where they put some electrodes on your head and fittle with the software on the computer. It worked. She showed me a lot of things about healing and I feel fine today. I even took ayahausca a couple times so I could make my peace with it. I don’t recommend ayahausca, but it can heal some people. It is best I think to heal through diet, exercise, dreamwork and self observation.

2. Gz writes:

I trued obe of those brain machines. It seems scientifically iffy ywt I did seem to have a positive result. It might be coincidental or not. Im glad that after my accident I had something positive happening.

My sense of time is now very damaged. I had a great sense of time. I stopped wearing a watch because I could generally tell you what time it was within 10 or so minutes. I also could tell you the year things happened. I was often off by a year or so but still when talking about historical wvents I was pretty good.

Now my internal clock is sometimes okay but ive lost the ability to stop what im doing in say five minutes

3. Gz writes:

Sorry cell phone. Pt 2.

Which in part means I cant walk away from cooking food.

Now everything just happened either a few days ago or a few weeks ago. Time is jumbled together. Major news events all seem to have just happened a few months ago. I have to manually note that something happened four years ago or that this big event happpened on that date.

If I can tie an event to date I can get a sense of placement in history even without having the placement in time. Im still trying to tie these things together. Its starting to work. Im starting to get a sense of “years ago.”

4. Gz writes:

Ps. Sorry for the horrid forever immortalized typos in part one. Mostly that is the cellphones fault. However fully lost words… thats me.

Proofing is everything.

5. barb Polan writes:

Yes, just after having a stroke 5 years ago, I told my OT I didn’t need to learn to tie my shoes one-handed because I was going to be able to tie my shoes with both hands any day. Never did I expect to find little kid’s elastic laces on my shoes 5 years later.

6. Emma writes:

Oh yeah, my concept of time has shifted significantly since my stroke. I’m either crazy early or crazy late to things. Being on time seems stupid difficult for me!

7. Marta Szwaya writes:

The thing that made me craziest after stroke now 4 1/2 years ago was that I would waste time by working on my recovery. At the time I had a very high level ‘important’ job; Boy has my idea of important shifted. As it worked out these years have been very pleasant. I’ve worked at 32 much less ‘important’ jobs and have enjoyed theem both. For 3 years I wrote content for my company’s Facebook page and earned 1000,000+ plus fans, more recently I’ve managed the turn around of a manufacturing business my husban and I own. All in all no wasted time anywhere.

8. CoeusPrime writes:

Wow. I have read these responses and am amazed and happy in a “misery loves company. As an aphasia victim, you already know how hard it is to describe to a doctor or loved-one whats going on….trying to explain the new elasticity of time to anyone is almost impossible. To hear someone else has it too is a minor miracle for me. I used to be a senior engineer at Sony doing good-sized projects and keeping all that schedule in your head. Now I can’t seem to tell the difference between five minutes and five hours on my bad days….this group here seems to be only one of two groups of people I have found who “get it”….